The history of this cross: In 1782, Father Junipero Serra founded the San Buenaventura Mission. Soon after, a large wooden cross was placed on a neighboring hillside as a guidepost for travelers. Over the years, the original cross and a series of replacements were lost to the elements, but locals never gave up. The current cross has stood atop its circular stone pedestal since 1941.
1 hour ago